December 9, 2008

Warm vs. Cold

Funny how growing up you never think about the temperature of your house, and if you do, you have no problem turning up the heat when your cold. Oh how it changes when you're responsible to pay for it!

I grew up in a small house with 5 other people. Our house was always warm and cozy, very rarely was I cold. And if I was, we had the wonderful blowers that I could just sit on top of and have the warm air quickly change that. The carpet throughout the house was convenient to keep my feet warm too! =)

Now I live in a larger house with only 1 other person. No more blowers- but radiators instead. Now only 2 rooms in the house have carpet....the rest are wood. I've quickly learned that wood floors = cold feet! The house is also on top of a hill- so the wind doesn't help with the chilliness, let alone the windows everywhere (including the big picture window).

Don't get me wrong! I LOVE my house!! I have been sooo blessed. I just NEVER realized how much it would cost to heat! I'm so thankful for my parents who worked so hard to give us a warm home growing up- I can definitely appreciate it now in a way I couldn't before.

My plan- cover some windows with plastic- I think it will help drastically. I'm feeling a Home Depot trip coming up soon!

1 comment:

Liz said...

well its not so warm now! the bedrooms are always cold now that we have that space heater thing out in the living room! but we still have lots of carpeted floor! :)