It's ironic that my last post was about the cold and here I am to talk about the cold again. Well, before I could even get around to plastic on the windows, the infamous Ice storm of 2008 hit and hit hard. What I thought of as cold just a few days ago has changed completely. I guess you don't realize what you have until you don't have it anymore.We woke up on Friday morning to a cold house with no power and an ice covered land outside. Oh did I mention a tree branch on Nick's car? We didn't want to try to do anything with the branch because it was hanging over our power lines. And another factor worthy of mention- Our garage has no house access. The only way to get in is through the main door, which is only opened with the (you got it) electric opener! So we were car less!
Most people who read this probably went through a similar experience as me....sitting in the cold, dark, and eating whatever make-shift dinner you could come up with that didn't need electricity. We held out through the first day and night, but after that, we couldn't take it anymore. We needed warmth!
Finally, after 3 days of no power and staying with family who had power, we were able to go home! Through it all we have become more thankful. Thankful for what we are blessed with- a warm home, lights, a simple way to cook. Thankful for friends and family who were there for us and took us in. We were also able to meet our neighbors for the first time (finally) and they're great! So excited to get to know them more! I can't help but think that was God sovereign in this storm and gave a lot of people the chance to step back, relax, and remember all that we've got right around the Christmas season.




No comments:
Post a Comment