June 11, 2009

My strange relationship with running

Went running last night. Made it about 28 mins. A 5K typically takes me about 34-31 mins. So I probably made it a little less than a 5k.

I have a strange relationship with running. When I'm running and right after I run, my motivation is at an all time high....I want to keep running every night and really get into it as a part of my lifestyle- ya know, run every 5k I can, etc.

--Then the next day comes- I'm really sore, so I don't run. I still want to keep up with running, but know I need to give my body a break.

--Then the next day comes. I want to run, but have plans, so there's no time. Repeat this once, maybe twice.

--Then a free day finally comes. I'm so tired from being busy that I really don't want to run. I make excuses. It's pathetic. Where does the motivation go?

When I finally get myself a day that I can run and actually go out and do it, that motivation comes back.
Searching for a way to get myself out of this cycle....any advice?

5 comments:

Kristina H. said...

I can totally relate!!! Nothing like that "hooray, I did it!" feeling right after a run! :) I'm finding it helpful to run with a friend. If I know I'm committed to be somewhere at a certain time to run, I'll be there...accountability helps me a lot. Let me know if you come across any helpful tips. Keep up the running - you can do it! :)

Brooke Fischer said...

can you do it in the am before you go to work? you can come up with as manye xcuses before work like you can after.
a running partner def helps....

write it down in your schedule and make yourself do it. or sign up for a race thats like 8 weeks ( or more, or less) away and tell everyone you know that you are going to do it... this way,,, you will feel like aloser if you dont do it and everyone knows you wre going to. lol.
works for me anyway. good luck
ps... at least you are skinny either way!

Greg said...

Ill echo the previous comments and add some... plan it.. make the commitment to run! Everyday, three days a week, whatever.

Sign-up for a local run, then train for it!

Change up the senery... find some different places to run..

This is totally doable.. a small change in lifestyle and priorities but very doable!!

Greg said...

Ill echo the previous comments and add some... plan it.. make the commitment to run! Everyday, three days a week, whatever.

Sign-up for a local run, then train for it!

Change up the senery... find some different places to run..

This is totally doable.. a small change in lifestyle and priorities but very doable!!

carolion said...

OK - so this is an old post but I just wanted to say "GO for it Laura!" I'm so excited that you and lauren are running ht 5K together. super awesome.
keep at it!